Tuesday, March 20, 2007

How is this SURGERy?*** X-Ray Before & After (Feb 26 and March 5)























I wanted to put these X-rays next to each other for your to see a coparison. I am not very good at Blogging so I have to explain this as I can and hope you understand it. The first picture was taken in October, about an inch from the bottom there is like a bone that loops around to the front, rigth at the back of that bone is the space (passage) where I could not get air in at night. During the day, as you know, I can control my breathing so no problem except I could not exercise because My heart and lungs would not get enough oxygen. Also notice that the face (if you look at the profile) is very straight. The last thing to notice is my nose, it is also straight in the bottom. Now if you move to picture #2, taken on March 4, 3 days after the surgery, you will notice the large opening of the back of the air passage....yes! I can breath....finally. I can sleep too, without an oxygen machine. You will notice my profile next - way out....that is because the advanced the jaw 12 mm in the bottom and 6mm in the top. There are several nails you see in the bottom jaw holding this together. My jaw was fractured in several parts and rebuilt, I now have a buncho of screws, wires and a couple of small platforms holding my upper (maxilofacial) cheek bones to the upper 'new' jaw. My nose was also operated on, which was a surprise as this was to happen down the road in 6 months....so now have two nice open passages...The surgery lasted about 6 hours and the recovery was painful and after 3 weeks now, I still have lots of pain....I still feel like a truck went right over my face...that's it for these pictures.

HOW DOES THIS GURGERY WORK? WHAT DO THEY DO?
First of all ALL SURGERIES AND CASES ARE DIFFERENT....mine is very severe and rare....so what i am trying to do thru this blog is explain only what i know and related to my case. My surgery is 3 par and does not touch the exophagous....so its all below the eyes....almost 85% of my face....nothing in the respiratory track, which is what we are trying to avoid at all costs touching....

My surgery was 3 fold....one is the Maxillary osteontomy (upper jaw), the ohter one is the mandibular osteonomy (lower jaw) and the third one is the passage of air intake in my nose. Maxillary osteotomy (upper jaw) ... My lower jaw had to be moved 12mm and my upper 8mm....so there is not a lot of gap between one and the other. If the dr. is only doing upper, then this procedure is used for patients with a receded or deficient upper jaw, as well as patients with an open bite (apertognathia). In my case, neither one, just 'my case' - aren't I special?
When operating on the upper jawbone, cuts are made below both eye sockets, so the entire top jaw, including roof of the mouth and all upper teeth, can move as one unit. The teeth and jaw are moved forward until the teeth are in a position that allows them to fit firmly with the bottom teeth.....My top jaw was missaligned and my nose also, you can imagine, after 6 hours of trying to adjust all this so the back of my throat could be open so I coudl breath and live a normal life...it would be a miracle to do this well the first time....thus why unfortunately i had to do a second surgery...moving on...
Once the jaw is realigned, tiny screws are used to hold the bone in its new position. These screws are smaller than a bracket used for braces, and become integrated into the bone structure. More than 12 were added on the second shot.

Mandibular osteotomy (lower jaw). When operating on the lower jawbone, the cuts are made behind the molars and lengthwise down the jawbone so the front of the jaw (teeth and all) can move as one unit. I had 4 cuts on the bottom.....Once completed, the jaw slides smoothly to its new position, and screws hold the jawbone together until it heals.
Most cases for this surgery include a severely receded lower jaw is often accompanied by a deficient chin, which can be remedied with cosmetic surgery. Typically, surgeons can alter the jaws and restructure the chin, if needed, during the same surgery...not my case.

The top...is where mine did not go right and the Doctor had to intervene for a second surgery...

dont be affraid, everywhere I read about MMA, it said it was very safe... "not only preserves the functional integrity of the pharyngeal tissues but also minimizes the risk of worsened case of severe sleep apnea, in the immediate postoperative period because minimal edema occurs within the unoperated pharyngeal soft tissues." Furthermore, since the bone segments that are operated on do not move, the ONLY GOOD NEWS IS there is no pain from swallowing, coughing, and talking, unlike the excruciating pain in the other lesser surgeris that are not as effective, these are called UPPP - postoperative period after uvulopalatopharyngoplasty (UPPP).


the nose was a surgery that was to happen 6 months down the road, my surgeon decided to do it this time, thus adding a lot to the surgery but better go thru this once (or so we thought) than having to mess with my face again. He opened the nose cavity on both sides....there are pictures in the site and you can see before and after - (the holes) - you cant tell much from the outside except swollen....which mine healed better than the norm....the inside has a full stocked hardware store....and is wire shot and has stitches and the works....but only I can see or feel this, thank God , I spear my parents and friends from this.....

hope this helps, and remember ALL cases are different -

Lesson for me... The happiness of your life depends upon the quality of your thoughts...manage your mind, listen to your heart, let God lead - I try to separate my fears and pain - they are circumstantial from my reality...instead focus and observe, the body is healing, its the natural process after such huge intervensions.... stay in course.

In Spanish, al mal tiempo, buena cara. Till soon -

No comments: